ARNHEM – Children’s Book Week 2022 from Wednesday 5 to Sunday 16 October. This year’s theme is “Gi-Ga Green”, about nature.
Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton, author and illustrator of the popular “The Crazy Tree House” series, are the first foreign authors and illustrators to present the Children’s Book Week gift. The book is called “Wonderful Tree House Stories”. You will get it as a gift if you buy children’s books for at least €12.50 during Children’s Book Week.
Marge Tolman creates the picture book for Children’s Book Week for young children. In ‘Egalus’ we sympathize with the touching hero Egalus, who hates all hustle and bustle, and points out the beautiful nature around us. Egalus on sale from October 5 for 8.25 euros.
Arnhem’s Children’s Book Store is open daily during Children’s Book Week at 09:00, also on Sundays and Mondays. Every day there is something fun to do! Writers and illustrators come to visit, you can do crafts, follow fun workshops and, finally, go on a great fox hunt on the Weverstraat. For more information and the program: www.lerenisleuk.nl
During the entire child’s book week:
* Hunt for the treasure of stuffed animals in Weaverstraat. help! Our stuffed animals have survived! They hide in the shop windows of the Weverstraat. Can you find them? You can put a label on each bosom you find. If your card is full, you hand it to De Arnhemse Kinderboekwinkel and you will receive a gift.
* Treasure hunt book in Weaverstraat Produced many GIGA Green children’s books. We have ten of them scattered in the shop windows of the Arnhemse Weverstraat. Can you find them all?
* Jungle city, walking a JGreen Sound Road City Forest It is a soundtrack full of adventures for children and their parents, about nature in downtown Arnhem. The audio track can be listened to for free. You start at Arnhem’s children’s book store; With different QR codes, you’ll walk out through Arnhem.
Wednesday October 5
* 10.00 AM – 11.00 AM: Alderman Kathleen Bokamp opens Children’s Book Week Hip Hop Hooray! The best week of the year is about to begin. It will be Gi-ga-green week, with books on nature and the environment. Who better to open this week than a member of the Arnhem Council who deals with green matters? Kathleen Bokamp opened Children’s Book Week by reading to us.
* 14.30 – 16.00: batsboom! Naturally Do you like this! The people of Batsbom wrote the book Naturally Do you like this! Where you discover how you can make the earth greener on your own. There is a fun test you can take. Together, you will think about a lot of questions about the Earth, the climate and the environment.
* 15.00 – 16.30: Making flower bombs Instead of letters, we sprinkle today with flowers! Because you can come and make flower bombs, which can spread around you later. What are flower bombs? Well, these are balls of clay, soil and flower seeds. With flower bombs you are helping nature.
Thursday October 6
* 10.00 – 11.00: Beekeeper Mickey reading aloud Bee Mickey comes in a beekeeper’s suit (because bees can sting!). She will read you beautiful picture books about animals, bees and maybe even beekeepers!
* 15.00 – 16.30: visit of the writer Willemine Kranendonck Willemene Kranendonk reads a story about beaches from her book Camping De Grote Whale and the mysterious glass mail. Then we’ll mess with things that would otherwise be thrown out. We will make mermaids and sharks out of old toilet rolls! For children from 6 years old.
Friday 7 October
* 10 AM – 11 AM: Vet sanneke read aloud Sunny is a vet. She can do anything to improve sick animals. She can even perform surgeries on animals! Do you want to be read by a real vet? From picture books about animals? Come listen!
* 3-5 pm: Make your own paper with Mike This afternoon we will work with paper. You can create your own paper with Mike Hoose from the KinderWijk team. So you make your own paper. And she’ll be so pretty that you probably won’t even leave her lying somewhere! For children from 7 years old.
Saturday October 8
* 9 AM – 12 PM: Make the most beautiful fish in the sea Do you want to make a beautiful fish to hang in your home? Or to give to a friend? And that can! Thomas, Sophie and Meryl are ready for you Saturday morning to help you. There are shimmering CDs and glittery grains: this must be a pretty thing!
* 10.00 – 12.00: face painting Let Petra or Sanne paint you as a tiger, bear, frog, dog…or something completely different!
* 15.00 – 16.30: Goat Workshop with Yvonne Jagtenberg This afternoon, Yvonne Jagtenberg is reading from her book I’m not a baby! She gave a workshop on goats. You paint the goats and you can join them. You make a beautiful goat, which is totally unique. No one has made goats like you!
Sunday October 9
* 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM: Make a Green Mondrian Today you can come and make your own green Mondrian. Willeke will help you if you don’t know how to do this. Children from three years old are welcome. There is room for a limited number of participants. Do you want to rest assured somewhere? Then register in advance via email@example.com.
* 10 AM – 10.45 AM & 11.30 – 12.15: green cake Decorate with Lotte Fan cupcake cup Lotte won the CupCakeCup in 2020. On Sunday mornings, she will give a cupcake decorating workshop twice. The subject, of course, is “green” and “nature”. The workshops last approximately 45 minutes and up to ten children can participate in them twice. So sign up on time! This activity is suitable for novice bakers aged eight and over. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to mention your preferred time.
* 15.00 – 16.00: Rutger Simpers says Pietje the frog is a gi-ga-green and stubborn gi-ga-frog! Pietje loves adventure and therefore travels often. Then he meets all kinds of distinctive animals who tell him exciting stories.
Are you also curious about what those animals say? Then come listen! Rutger tells us about all the adventures of Betty and the other animals.
Monday October 10
* 15.00 – 16.30: Spider web crafting Are you coming to make a spider web? Granny G will be ready on Monday afternoon with chestnuts, skewers and lots of wool to make the cutest webs!
Tuesday 11 October
*10AM-11AM: Reading Dog beno Visit Monica will read one of the most beautiful picture books. She mainly chose books about dogs. Do you like dogs? Then you should definitely come! Are you a little afraid of dogs? However, you must come, because Beno is coming to visit! Benno is a service dog. While Monica is reading, you can pet or hug Beno. cute huh?
* 3m – 4.30m: J-Go- Make slime green Ji-ja-slippery! J-Ja-Slide! Ji-ja-slippery! Ji-ja-green! Do you like doodling and doodling? Then come this afternoon and make gi-ga-green slime!
Wednesday October 12
*10 AM – 11 AM: Marijic Florist read aloud Read our Marijic Florist. She has chosen beautiful picture books, which also include flowers and plants. And… it makes a little surprise for all the toddlers and preschoolers who come to listen!
* 3m – 4.30m: JRemove the pollution! Here Arag Jeron! Ji-ja-green! We get a visit from the forest ranger Jeron! The most famous forest in Arnhem is the forester Jeroen Glisinar! Jeroen tells you all about his business and will answer all your gi-ga-green questions.
Thursday October 13
* 10.00 – 11.00: Hermine de Winkel talks and sings Hermine tells the story of little Angie who is looking for a very large green frog. She can’t find that frog, but she does find a lot of other things. What all? You will hear it if you come to listen. Of course Hermine also sings many songs. Songs you probably know. Of course you can sing and clap.
* 15.30 – 17.00: Making a lunar calendar with Kelly Van Kempin Kelly Van Kempen is the author of books on De Sterrensteen. Together with Kelly you prepare your own lunar calendar. This way you know exactly when a full moon or a new moon is. For children from 8 to 12 years old.
Friday 14 October
*10 AM – 11 AM: Roel Sedel reads and draws Roel will, of course, read from his own books, but he will also draw for you. Because his new book All Dog! Concerning animals, you can bring your favorite stuffed animal. Don’t like this: the drawing of your stuffed toy, made by a real artist?
* 3m – 4.30m: fake From Burgers Zoo says Zvi works as a guide at Burger Zoo in Arnhem, so she knows a lot about animals!
Using the book Why Okapi Wear White Socks, Zevi explains the function and usefulness of different colors in the animal kingdom. If you have any questions about (wild) animals, you can of course ask Zeffie.
Saturday 15 October
* 12.00 – 14.00: visits by cartoonist Abi Burst Abby Burst is coming to visit us! Abby is a cartoonist and he makes the Zoo & Zo comic, among other things. Abby will sign for you. Think in advance what your favorite animal is, we won’t reveal more yet!
* 14.00 – 16.00: Green Screen and Stop Motion Video Workshop Andor Driessen presents a workshop in animation and video. You will learn how to make a great video. I bet you get a lot of likes on Instagram! Animators Abe Borst, Marja Maijer, Hester van de Grifft and Rinsk de Kinkelder are also on hand to make the most beautiful drawings and add them to the film.
Sunday October 16
* 10.00 – 11.00: making a cactus Are you six years old or older? Then you can come and make your own aloe vera. Willeke van Kleurstroom is ready to help you. Oh yeah, bring your own flower pot for your cactus. You can then decorate it just as you like. It would be great if you pre-register via email@example.com.
* 14.00 – 15.30: fox chase As it’s already a resounding success four times, there’s also a real hunt for Fox in central Arnhem on the last day of Children’s Book Week this year! There are all kinds of characters from children’s books roaming the Weverstraat. Can you find them all?