In this article
When does emotional infidelity occur?
Emotional infidelity is a somewhat vague concept with many explanations. What is emotional infidelity for one person is just friendship or innocent flirtation for another. But it can leave its mark on your relationship.
Also Read: What is Relational Intelligence and How Can You Work on It?
What is emotional betrayal?
Emotional infidelity means forming a close, intimate relationship with someone who is not your partner. You can generally distinguish emotional infidelity from casual friendship because interactions often involve sexual tension or romantic attraction.
This type of relationship also makes you more connected to the person than an ordinary friendship. This may not seem threatening or problematic, since you do not intend to have sex. However, emotional cheating can distort the foundations of your relationship.
Read also: Communicating in a Relationship: The Five Love Languages
How do you recognize emotional betrayal?
In general, emotional cheating occurs when your relationship with another person makes you less interested in your partner. You recognize it by certain behavior:
- You spend more time talking to (or thinking about) the person other than your partner
- Avoid talking about him or her with your partner
- You know the other person is attracted to you
- Noticed physical signs of chemistry in his surroundings
- You feel less physically or emotionally attracted to your partner
- You share frustration or dissatisfaction with your relationship with the other person
- You wish your partner was like him or her
- Avoid open communication with your partner
- Do not tell your partner about the relationship you developed with the other
And what if you’re on the other side and your partner suspects emotional infidelity?
Pay attention to the following signs:
- You feel uncomfortable with your partner, but you can’t tell exactly what’s wrong
- During sex, your partner’s mind seems to be somewhere else
- Your partner uses his or her phone more than usual and keeps it with them all the time
- Your interactions remain completely superficial. Your partner says funny things about work, but little about serious matters. If you are trying to form a more intimate relationship, your partner appears angry or rejects you
Read also: Relationship with a narcissist? These are the features
How do I protect my relationship from emotional infidelity?
Both partners should work together to better protect the relationship from emotional infidelity. A good foundation of friendship, intimacy and trust is indispensable. Some tips that can help with this:
- Schedule regular dates or fun time
- Communicate on a daily basis about practical matters as well as feelings
- Learn how to struggle healthy
- If someone gets hurt, it’s better to fix them quickly
- Show respect to each other
- If you feel that you cannot solve the problem on your own, you can also seek professional help from a relationship therapist
Read also: How do you recognize a toxic relationship?