Spitfire attacked the blacksmith’s coach at ‘t Koepeltje Scherpenzeelse

April 8, 11:04


sharp chop Thanks to a witness, it is almost certain that Margarita (Grett) Whipplemann-Venk of Veenendaal was killed in the Scherbenzel War in January 1945. The missing pieces of the puzzle were provided by 88-year-old Dickie Boss van den Broek, who reported to the Oud Veenendaal Historical Society After the resume in this newspaper.

It wasn’t as cold as it was in January 1945, but the sun and the nice spring weather a few days before were replaced by snow and a temperature close to freezing. It doesn’t bother Dickie Boss-Van den Broek of Veenendaal. On a Thursday morning, she and her daughter Dickie, Art Albers and Jan Boss of “Oud Veenendaal” went to a place on Ruwinkelseweg in Scherpenzeel, where when she was 10 she witnessed an air raid by British aircraft.

She says, pointing obliquely in the direction to the other side of the meadow. On Wednesdays, with my father and brother who is five years older, we went with a horse and wagon into the woods to get firewood for the stove. It was the middle of a famine winter. When we came back in the afternoon and were about to head back to Utrechwang, we suddenly heard the sound of plane engines. The noise was deafening, the plane went in front and we heard gunfire. We thought the plane was following us and without thinking twice, we all reflexively ran behind the trees.”

It hasn’t changed much Veenendaalse walks to the tree where she was hiding behind at the time and is somewhat surprised. “The fence to the meadow is still there as well, it was made of wood and metal at the time, and Ruwinkelseweg was still a cobbled dirt road, but really not much has changed here.”

What also didn’t change was a bend in the road with bushes along it. “The horse was so startled by the noise of the plane that it took off with a cart and everything. At the turn it was crammed into the bush. When the horse got back on the road, we set off from Ruwinkelseweg to Utrechtseweg.”

When she gets there, she sees something of vital importance to Oud Veenendaal in the investigation of Margarita Whippleman’s death. By the way, Art Albers only reported “something” at the suggestion of her daughter Dickey.

About 150 meters from Renswoude, there was a black wagon on the road,” she says. The road was more deserted, and then it became clear to us that the plane was not aimed at us, but the wagon. We didn’t go looking. My father was afraid that the plane would return and headed as fast as he could to the right towards our house. The next day we learned what had happened and that a lady had died.”

reliable puzzle piece Aalbers, who is conducting research with Jan Boss for the Graven War Victims Munnikenhof working group, is “extremely pleased” with the 88-year-old witness. In fact, I did not expect an eyewitness and permission to come. Her testimony is the trusted piece of the puzzle we’ve been needing. Because the information we had so far has been passed down from relatives. In fact, we only had a one-mouth story. It was not proof that Mrs. Whippleman was a victim of war.”

The gist of the information circulated was that Margarita Whipplemann was on her way from Wienendaal to her son Jan in Woodenberg with the gravedigger Van Xanten. However, she did not get there: she was killed somewhere in Scherbenzel after an air raid. But what exactly happened and where wasn’t really clear. For example, the book “Veens Past by Word and Image” by Sjoerd de Jong mentioned that she was on her way to a house called “Het Koepeltje”. Her daughter, Artie Whipplemann, told Brewer, among other things, that a fierce battle took place between a German and an allied plane. According to her, the passengers jumped out of the carriage to take cover behind a tree. Despite this, Margarita Whippleman had been hit by a shrapnel and would die instantly. Her grandson Henny Hardman of Finendaal in turn heard from tradition that a plane had shot a military vehicle on the ground.

the dome After more than 77 years, Dicky Bos-van den Broek is back from Ruwinkelseweg to Utrechtseweg. But this time she did not turn right to where her parents’ house once stood, but to the left where she saw a carriage. The old trees are gone and the house across from the carriage is new. But it still bears its original name: ‘t Koepeltje.

In addition Aalbers: “In tradition, it became that Margarita Wepelmann was on her way to Het Koepeltje in Scherpenzeel. The fisherman’s house, which belonged to the municipality of Woudenberg until 1960, was considered, but it is now evident that it was the house near the place where she was wounded. fatal.

Inquiries made by Bos with his colleague Egbert Wolleswinkel of the Renswoude Historical Society show that the house was built around 1936. The new building was built on the same spot in 2001 and in fact the look of the house hasn’t changed much. If you think far about the garden and the fence, it looks like it happened in January 1945.”

Shelling According to Boss, it is now also clear that the Spitfires took part in raids on the Utrecht-Arnhem railway on January 24. After this bombing, the planes sometimes broke out of their formation when they saw something they could attack. The distance between the railway line and ‘t Koepeltje is 2.8 kilometres. That sounds a lot of distance, but when you consider that the Spitfire’s top speed is 700 kilometers per hour, that’s less than half a minute of flight. A chariot attack from the air was more common because German soldiers also drove often by horse and wagon.

As Margarita Whippleman’s death certificate states Thursday, January 25, Albers and Boss assume that she did not die immediately after the attack, but was taken to hospital with serious injuries, where she died a day later. “She may have been taken to the emergency hospital in Scherpenzel,” Albers says. , but nothing can be found in the archives about this emergency hospital,” Boss adds.

According to Albers, the appeal in the newspaper also yielded other information, information that sheds new light on why Grete Whippleman went to her son and where to stay in Woodenberg. Miriam Whippleman’s granddaughter also called us. Her mother told her that Grandma Whippleman was on her way to her son and daughter-in-law in Woudenberg. She said her grandmother had surgery for a tumor in her stomach and that her son and stepmother, parents Miriam and Bellman, had been invited to visit them temporarily at Stationsstraat in Woudenberg to recover from the operation.

bout of war With all the new information, Albers and Boss prove that Margarita Whipplemann was killed in the war. Boss adds a nuance. Mrs. Dickie Boss-van den Broek did not see that Margarita Whipplemann had been fatally wounded by shrapnel. So it’s not 100% certain. But from what she has seen and heard, we can now say with certainty that Mrs. Whippleman is a victim of war.”

This week, the Oud Veenendaal Historical Society will submit a request to the Mayor of Veenendaal to add the name Margaretha Weppelman-Vink to the Fallen Monument at Veenendaal-Centrum Station. This is important for Bos en Aalbers. “No casualties should be lost from a war memorial, because someone has no children, or information was not passed on or unavailable, or because there were no witnesses: we want to honor everyone.” The working group showed that they were also war casualties.

The Aalbers would very much like to see Margarita Whippleman-Fink added to the monument before next Memorial Day, but he thinks it will be difficult in practice.

“We will put up an information board at the family’s grave at De Munnikenhof Cemetery in May. This will be revealed in the presence of the Whipplemann family on Wednesday 4 May at 3pm, during the annual tour along the War Graves.

Andre van der Velde

Leave a Comment